Scalping is a fast-paced trading strategy that involves opening and closing trades within minutes to take advantage of small price movements. Scalpers aim to make many small profits that add up over time rather than waiting for one large gain.
With the right strategies, scalping can be immensely profitable. However, it requires dedication, razor-sharp focus, and lightning-fast order execution. In this comprehensive guide, we’ll explore three of the most popular scalping strategies used by active traders today. Whether you’re just starting out or looking to refine your skills, these methods can help you capitalize on short-term market moves.
What is Scalping and Who Uses It?
Scalping refers to a trading style where profits are made through buying and selling securities multiple times within the same trading day. The goal is to accumulate small gains that add up to a worthwhile return over time.
Scalpers typically target moves of 0.5% or less and close all positions before the end of the day. Hold times average just a few minutes to capitalize on minute price fluctuations.
This strategy is commonly used by:
- Day traders – Active speculators who open and close positions within the same day. Scalping compliments their short-term trading focus.
- High frequency traders – Use algorithms and automated trading systems to execute a high volume of trades in milliseconds.
- Forex traders – Take advantage of small pip movements in currency pairs. The immense liquidity in forex markets makes scalping viable.
- Options traders – Buy and sell options contracts rapidly to profit from quick changes in implied volatility.
Scalping isn’t suitable for all investors. It requires an appetite for risk, meticulous trade planning, and flawless execution. However, for seasoned traders willing to put in the work, it can be tremendously lucrative.
Advantages and Disadvantages of Scalping
Before diving into specific strategies, let’s examine the key pros and cons of scalping:
- Profit from volatility – Scalpers aim to capitalize on a security’s short-term volatility. This provides more opportunities to enter and exit trades.
- Smaller position sizes – Each trade uses less capital, so risks are lower per trade. This allows taking on more trades at once.
- Compounding gains – Making many small winning trades compounds earnings faster than waiting for infrequent large gains.
- Avoid overnight gaps – By closing out positions intraday, scalpers avoid overnight pricing gaps between market close and open.
- Requires constant focus – Scalpers must dedicate full attention to closely monitor the markets for opportunities. This can be mentally exhausting.
- Higher commissions – The high volume of trades leads to increased commission fees which eat into profits.
- Tight risk controls needed – With small targets, tight stop losses are essential. One loser can eliminate many winning trades.
- Requires fast execution – Lagging order entry can turn profitable trades into losers in fast markets. A top-tier trading platform is essential.
As with any trading method, scalping has its merits and downsides. Let’s now explore three proven strategies to scalp trade successfully.
1. The 1-Minute Chart Scalping Strategy
The 1-minute chart scalping strategy involves opening and closing trades based on price action at the 1-minute interval. This ultra short-term focus allows capitalizing on even small price movements throughout the day.
Here is an overview of how to scalp trade using 1-minute charts:
How to Trade:
- Timeframes: 1-minute chart for entries and exits, with 5-minute or 15-minute for trend confirmation
- Indicators: Volume, exponential moving averages (EMA), stochastics, Bollinger Bands
- Entries: Enter on pullbacks when price rebounds from EMA support, confirmed by uptick in volume and/or oversold stochastic reading.
- Exits: Close partial position at 1:1 reward/risk ratio. Trail stop loss to lock profits on remainder. Exit entire trade at next support/resistance level.
- Target profit: 0.25% to 0.5% per trade.
- Stop loss: Set just below near-term swing point or support. Adjust for volatility.
Tips and Notes:
- Trade in the direction of the trend based on higher timeframes. Use pullbacks as entries in trending markets.
- Focus on highly liquid securities with strong daily volume and volatility. Low float stocks under $10 offer ideal conditions.
- Only trade the first 1-2 hours of the day when volume and volatility peak. Avoid midday choppiness.
- Use Level 2 quotes to target limit orders placed right above bid/ask. Get filled before momentum accelerates.
With the 1-minute chart strategy, the key is having the focus and reflexes to capitalize on fleeting intraday swings. Trade activity will be high, so this method is best for experienced scalpers.
2. The Momentum Scalping Strategy
Momentum scalping aims to ride strong short-term trends as they accelerate higher or lower. By focusing solely on securities exhibiting high volatility and market momentum, profit potential rises substantially.
Here are the key components of the momentum scalping strategy:
How to Trade:
- Timeframes: 5-minute and 15-minute charts
- Indicators: Volume, exponential moving averages (EMA), MACD histogram
- Entries: Enter on pullback when MACD histogram upticks and fast EMA crosses above slow EMA, confirmed by increase in volume.
- Exits: Scale out partial profit at 1:1 reward/risk. Trail stop on remainder to maximize run. Close entire trade at next support/resistance level.
- Target Profit: 0.4% to 0.8% per trade. Widen range during high volatility.
- Stop Loss: Place below recent swing point or support. Move lower as uptrend progresses.
Tips and Notes:
- Focus only on securities showing strong momentum intraday. These will often gap up on high relative volume.
- Use a screener to scan for stocks gapping over 2-3% with above average volume premarket.
- Enter trades in the direction of the momentum. Don’t fight strong trends.
- Be flexible with profit targets. Let winners ride during high volatility momentum bursts.
By concentrating only on the hottest momentum stocks, more profit can be extracted from short bursts. However, losses can also be larger if volatility swings the other way. Manage risk accordingly.
3. The Breakout Scalping Strategy
The breakout scalping strategy targets securities making strong moves outside defined support or resistance levels. By quickly entering as breakouts occur, substantial profits can be captured as new trading ranges develop.
Here is how to effectively trade breakout scalping setups:
How to Trade:
- Timeframes: 1-minute and 5-minute charts
- Indicators: Volume, price action
- Entries: Buy breakouts above resistance when volume increases. Sell breakouts below support on volume spike.
- Exits: Take partial profits at 1:1 reward/risk ratio. Trail stop on remainder. Close position when price clearly loses momentum.
- Target Profit: 0.4% to 1% per trade based on volatility
- Stop Loss: Place just outside the breached support or resistance level which triggered entry.
Tips and Notes:
- Focus on breakouts to new highs or lows, not minor intraday levels. True breakouts see increased volatility.
- Use tick charts to time entry the moment support/resistance breaks. Avoid false breaks.
- Let profits run as long as momentum continues post-breakout. Manage trades based on price action, not preset targets.
- Increase position size when breakout coincides with high volume and volatility. Signifies strong institutional flows.
With breakout scalping, acting decisively at the right moment is key to maximizing gains as new trends start. Develop your timing and trade management skills to succeed.
Common Misconceptions About Scalping Addressed
Now that we’ve explored top scalping techniques in detail, let’s demystify some inaccurate perceptions about this trading style:
Myth: Scalping is easy money.
Reality: Scalping profitably requires skill, dedication, and precision execution. careless trading leads to losses.
Myth: Scalpers just get lucky.
Reality: Success involves planning high-probability trades based on technical analysis and proven strategies.
Myth: Scalping is gambling.
Reality: SMART trading frameworks optimize risk/reward ratios. Losses are capped via stop loss while profits run.
Myth: Scalpers cheat or manipulate markets.
Reality: Legitimate scalpers work within the rules and regulations. They capitalize on natural market movements.
Myth: Scalping is banned at some brokerages.
Reality: Most brokers allow scalping providing traders follow margin rules and account funding minimums.
Myth: Scalpers cause increased market volatility.
Reality: Scalpers react to volatility, they don’t drive it. Overall trading volume across all strategies determines volatility.
Key Ingredients For Scalping Success
Based on the strategies detailed above, here are the vital ingredients for scalping effectiveness:
- Advanced trading platform – Fast and stable execution prevents missed opportunities. Level 2 and hotkeys allow quick reactions.
- Technical analysis skills – Read indicators and price action accurately to time entries and exits optimally.
- Focus and discipline – Scalping requires unbroken attention to avoid costly errors. Follow rules without deviation.
- Risk management – Meticulous stop losses and capped position size control downside.
- Patience – Wait for high-probability setups instead of overtrading.
- Record keeping – Track stats to refine approach over time. Review losing trades.
- Stamina – Scalping is mentally tiring. Manage fatigue to stay sharp.
Together, these attributes allow scalpers to maximize profits while minimizing costly mistakes. Develop them before attempting short-term trading.
Most Common Scalping Mistakes to Avoid
Here are key errors that impair success and should be avoided:
- Overtrading – Scalping quality setups selectively is essential. Taking every potential trade leads to forced entries and unnecessary losses.
- No stop loss – Not using protective stops is suicidal. Respect your risk tolerance on every trade.
- No trading plan – Lack of a structured process leads to undisciplined actions and chasing trades. Define specific rules for yourself.
- Emotional trading – Anxiety or excitement inevitably causes poor decisions. Detach yourself emotionally and follow the plan.
- Risking too much – Position sizes that risk over 1% quickly wipe out accounts due to volatility. Size correctly.
- Revenge trading – Desperately jumping into trades to recover previous losses only triggers more losses. Walk away and reset after mistakes.
- Fatigue trading – Mental exhaustion impairs judgment. Manage stamina and don’t overtrade in a single session.
Avoiding these pitfalls allows traders to implement their strategies effectively over the long-run.
Frequently Asked Questions About Scalping Strategies
Q: What is the best technical indicator for scalping?
A: Volume, exponential moving averages, stochastics, and MACD are highly useful indicators for scalpers. However, price action takes precedence in analyzing setups. No indicator provides perfect signals.
Q: What time frame is best for scalping?
A: The best scalping timeframes are 1-minute, 5-minute and 15-minute charts. Ultra short 1-minute charts allow reacting fastest to price changes, while 5 to 15-minute charts smooth out noise while showing short-term momentum.
Q: What is the win rate for scalping?
A: Experienced scalpers typically maintain win rates between 60% and 80%. The key is maximizing average profit relative to average loss through smart risk management.
Q: Is scalping illegal?
A: Scalping is entirely legal as long as traders follow all exchange rules and regulations. Some brokers may prohibit scalping due to its high volume, but most accommodate it.
Q: What is the best market for scalping?
A: Scalping is most common in forex and equity markets due to their immense liquidity and volatility. Futures, options, and cryptocurrencies also work well for short-term trading.
Q: Do I need an advanced trading platform?
A: Yes, optimized platforms like Thinkorswim or TradeStation with Level 2 data and hotkeys are vital for scalping to enable fast execution. Trading directly from a broker’s web interface makes scalping much tougher.
Final Thoughts on Scalping Strategies
Scalping offers adventurous traders the chance to profit from the markets’ constant short-term fluctuations. But implementing these strategies profitably requires skill, discipline, and stamina.
Use the guidelines provided to plan trades selectively, manage risk smartly, and avoid common errors. With practice, scalping can provide exciting wins.
Remember, not all sessions will be profitable. Stick to your strategy even through losses, tweak your approach based on review, and success will come over time by persistently executing high probability trades.
The fast pace and quick action of scalping makes it challenging but potentially lucrative for dedicated traders. Give these strategies a try and customize your own rules as you develop your skills. Profitable scalping is achievable with the right groundwork.
Best and Most Trusted Forex Brokers
Based on regulation, award recognition, mainstream credibility, and overwhelmingly positive client feedback, these six brokers stand out for their sterling reputations:
|No||Broker||Regulation||Min. Deposit||Platforms||Account Types||Offer||Open New Account|
|1.||RoboForex||FSC Belize||$10||MT4, MT5, RTrader||Standard, Cent, Zero Spread||Welcome Bonus $30||Open RoboForex Account|
|2.||AvaTrade||ASIC, FSCA||$100||MT4, MT5||Standard, Cent, Zero Spread||Top Forex Broker||Open AvaTrade Account|
|3.||Exness||FCA, CySEC||$1||MT4, MT5||Standard, Cent, Zero Spread||Free VPS||Open Exness Account|
|4.||XM||ASIC, CySEC, FCA||$5||MT4, MT5||Standard, Micro, Zero Spread||20% Deposit Bonus||Open XM Account|
|5.||ICMarkets||Seychelles FSA||$200||MT4, MT5, CTrader||Standard, Zero Spread||Best Paypal Broker||Open ICMarkets Account|
|6.||XBTFX||ASIC, CySEC, FCA||$10||MT4, MT5||Standard, Zero Spread||Best USA Broker||Open XBTFX Account|
|7.||Vantage||ASIC, CySEC, FCA||$50||MT4, MT5||Standard, Cent, Zero Spread||20% Deposit Bonus||Open Vantage Account|
|8.||FXTM||FSC Mauritius||$10||MT4, MT5||Standard, Micro, Zero Spread||Welcome Bonus $50||Open FXTM Account|
|9.||FBS||ASIC, CySEC, FCA||$5||MT4, MT5||Standard, Cent, Zero Spread||100% Deposit Bonus||Open FBS Account|
|10.||Binance||DASP||$10||Binance Platforms||N/A||Best Crypto Broker||Open Binance Account|
|11.||TradingView||Unregulated||Free||TradingView||N/A||Best Trading Platform||Open TradingView Account|
“If you don't find a way to make money while you sleep, you will work until you die.”
- Warren Buffett
MOST POPULAR FOREX ROBOT
Number One Robot for Forex Trading.
Based on Price Action and Trend Analysis with Artificial Intelligence.
Works Best with EURUSD & XAUUSD.
You can use this EA on Multiple Accounts with Life Time Premium Support.
MyFXbook, FxBlue & Live Trading Verified.
Monthly Expected Profit is 20% to 200% with very Less Drawdown.
check daily trading result
We will post our trading result daily on our channel. Please join our channel for daily updates.