Scalping is a trading strategy that aims to gain small profits from minor price movements in a short timeframe. Scalpers open and close positions within minutes looking to profit from buying low and selling high.
With the right combination of indicators and strategies, scalping on the popular MetaTrader 4 (MT4) trading platform can be an effective way to trade the markets. In this comprehensive guide, we will explore the top free MT4 indicators and strategies best suited for scalping in 2024.
Overview of Scalping Trading Strategy
Scalping seeks to capture profits by exploiting minor price moves. Scalpers open a position with the intention of gaining just a few pips before promptly closing the trade.
Key Characteristics of Scalping:
- Very short-term trades – positions held for minutes or even seconds
- Numerous small wins to accumulate profits
- Leverage used to maximize profits from minor moves
- Strict risk and money management critical
Scalping suits traders who can dedicate time to monitor the markets continuously. It requires fast execution and discipline to close positions quickly.
Let’s examine the pros and cons of scalping:
- Profits can accumulate from gaining many small moves
- Low exposure to overnight gap risk
- Avoiding large losses by closing losing trades fast
- Can be automated by Expert Advisors (EAs)
- Requires constant monitoring of charts
- More trading costs from high volume of trades
- Gains easily reversed with spread costs
- Needs very tight stops so high risk of stops getting hit
- Stressful trading style watching charts continuously
With the right scalping approach, these limitations can be managed. Now let’s explore the top free indicators and strategies for scalping with MT4 in 2024.
Best Free MT4 Indicators for Scalping
Indicators are vital for scalping by identifying trading opportunities, signaling entries and exits. Here are the most reliable free MT4 indicators for scalping:
1. Moving Averages
Moving averages are trend following indicators that smooth out price action. They act as dynamic support and resistance levels.
The two most popular types are:
- Simple Moving Average (SMA)
- Exponential Moving Average (EMA)
Moving averages work well for scalping by highlighting:
- Direction of the trend
- Areas of support and resistance
- Change in momentum
Tips for trading with MAs:
- Faster MAs like 5/8/13 good for scalping
- Use crossover of short and long term MA as trading trigger
- Look for price to bounce off moving averages
2. Stochastic Oscillator
The Stochastic oscillator is a momentum indicator that identifies oversold and overbought levels.
It consists of:
- %K line – Fast moving line that compares close to range
- %D line – Slow moving average of %K line
- Oversold below 20, overbought above 80
For scalping, the Stochastic helps determine potential reversal points.
Trading with Stochastic:
- Look for crossovers of %K and %D for entry signals
- Exit long trades when %K/%D falls below 80
- Exit shorts when %K/%D rises above 20
- Works well with other indicators like MAs
3. Parabolic SAR
The Parabolic SAR indicator identifies trend direction and reversals. SAR stands for “Stop and Reverse”.
Key features of Parabolic SAR:
- Plotted as dots above or below price
- Dots below price = Uptrend; Above price = Downtrend
- Reversal signaled when dot flips above/below price
Parabolic SAR helps scalpers identify when an uptrend or downtrend is losing momentum signaling a potential reversal.
Trading with Parabolic SAR:
- Go long when SAR flips below price
- Go short when SAR flips above price
- Use dot flip as sign to close position
4. Bollinger Bands
Bollinger Bands plot price envelopes around a simple moving average. Bands widen during high volatility and contract during low volatility periods.
The key parameters are:
- Simple Moving Average (Middle Band)
- Upper Band (SMA + 2 standard deviations)
- Lower Band (SMA – 2 standard deviations)
Bollinger Bands are ideal for scalping by identifying oversold and overbought levels.
Scalping with Bollinger Bands:
- Look for price to test Upper/Lower Bands for entries
- Exit longs when price closes below middle band
- Exit shorts when price closes above middle band
- Use squeeze of bands for low volatility
5. Average True Range (ATR)
The Average True Range measures market volatility. It tracks the average price move over a set period.
ATR is helpful for scalping to gauge market conditions and set stop losses.
Using ATR for scalping:
- Higher ATR = greater volatility for trades
- Lower ATR = tighter ranges so adjust stops
- Set stop loss 1-2x ATR from entry price
- Trail stops below previous ATR high/low
Top Scalping Strategies for MT4
Having a defined trading strategy is key to scalping success. Here are some of the best scalping strategies to use with MT4:
1. Moving Average Crossover
This straightforward strategy buys when a shorter MA crosses above a longer MA and sells when the shorter MA crosses below.
- Add a fast and slow moving average to chart (e.g. 5 & 13 EMA)
- Go long when 5 EMA crosses above 13 EMA
- Close trade when 5 EMA crosses below 13 EMA
- Go short when 5 EMA crosses below 13 EMA
- Close trade when 5 EMA crosses above 13 EMA
- Use Stochastic for added confirmation of crossovers
This method lets you scalp in the direction of the trend. Use a fast MA for earlier crossover signals.
2. Stochastic Oscillator Strategy
This scalping technique uses Stochastic crossovers for trade entries and exits.
Rules for trading:
- Enter long when %K line crosses above %D line
- Close long when %K line crosses below %D line
- Enter short when %K line crosses below %D line
- Close short when %K line crosses above %D line
Stochastic crossovers identify momentum shifts ideal for scalping. Add other indicators like MA or Bollinger for confirmation.
3. Bollinger Bounce Strategy
This strategy looks to buy dips near the Bollinger Band lower band and sell near the upper band.
- Buy when price bounces off Lower Band
- Sell when price hits Upper Band
- Set stop loss below Lower Band for longs
- Set stop loss above Upper Band for shorts
- Trail stop below previous low/high
Riding the bands works well for scalping volatile markets. Always wait for confirmation from candle close or another indicator.
4. Parabolic SAR Reversals
This system uses Parabolic SAR dot flips to signal trend reversals.
- Buy when SAR flips below price
- Sell when SAR flips above price
- Close long when SAR flips above price
- Close short when SAR flips below price
Focus on strong flip confirmed by candle close or volume spike for highest probability setups.
5. Breakout Pullback Strategy
This strategy combines breakouts and pullbacks for scalping larger moves.
- Identify Support/Resistance level
- Buy breakouts above resistance when price pulls back to breakout level
- Sell breakouts below support when price pulls back to breakout level
- Set stop loss beyond breakout level
- Take partial profits at 1:1 and 1:2 risk/reward
- Trail stop to lock in profits
Combining breakouts with pullbacks allows trading in the direction of momentum while having defined risk.
These scalping strategies combined with the top indicators give you multiple options to profit from short-term moves. Make sure to backtest to determine which performs best for your trading style.
Tips for Successfully Scalping with MT4
Here are some additional tips for scalping success with MT4:
- Trade liquid markets – Focus on major forex pairs and indices to ensure tight spreads and fast execution.
- Use a low spread ECN broker for the lowest trading costs per position.
- Trade sessions with highest volatility – London/New York sessions offer ideal market movement.
- Start small – To refine your strategy and execution, trade micro lots initially.
- Set clear profit targets – Aim for 1:2 to 1:3 risk reward as a minimum.
- Cut losses quickly – Set and stick to tight stops of 8-12 pips to limit downside.
- Manage risk – Limit total risk per session and avoid overtrading a strategy.
With proper trading habits, effective use of leverage, and risk controls, scalping with MT4 has the potential to become a profitable endeavor.
Common Questions About Scalping on MT4
What is the best chart timeframe for scalping on MT4?
The best chart timeframes for scalping are the 1 minute, 5 minute and 15 minute. The short duration charts allow detecting the minor price moves scalping thrives on.
What is the recommended leverage for a scalping strategy on MT4?
Leverage for scalping systems needs to be higher to maximize profits but also controlled. Recommended leverage is 10:1 to 30:1 depending on volatility and trade size.
What markets can you effectively scalp trade?
The most common markets to scalp are forex pairs and stock indices. Majors like EUR/USD, GBP/USD, USD/JPY and EUR/JPY work well. For stocks, scalping indices like the S&P 500, Nasdaq 100, or DAX 30 can be profitable.
Should I use a stop loss when scalping?
Yes, using a stop loss is vital when scalping. Since you are targeting small profit targets, stop losses need to be tight, between 5-15 pips from entry depending on volatility. Tight stops are key to limiting any large losses as a scalper.
Is scalping a risky trading strategy?
Scalping does carry high risks. The fast pace of trading, tight stops, and leverage can lead to substantial losses if not managed properly. Strict risk controls, appropriate position sizing, and setting loss limits are essential to scalp safely.
Scalping with MT4 indicators and strategies can provide trading opportunities even in rangy or volatile markets. The key is finding the right indicator combinations and techniques that fit your style.
Start by applying the free indicators covered here: Moving Averages, Stochastic, Bollinger Bands, Parabolic SAR and ATR. Combine them with scalping strategies like breakouts, pullbacks, momentum trading and band riding.
Refine your edge through practice and review your trading stats regularly. With the proper scalping approach, MT4 is an effective platform to capture small but consistent profits intraday. Focus on managing risk and maximizing your winners to become a successful scalper.
Best and Most Trusted Forex Brokers
Based on regulation, award recognition, mainstream credibility, and overwhelmingly positive client feedback, these six brokers stand out for their sterling reputations:
|No||Broker||Regulation||Min. Deposit||Platforms||Account Types||Offer||Open New Account|
|1.||RoboForex||FSC Belize||$10||MT4, MT5, RTrader||Standard, Cent, Zero Spread||Welcome Bonus $30||Open RoboForex Account|
|2.||AvaTrade||ASIC, FSCA||$100||MT4, MT5||Standard, Cent, Zero Spread||Top Forex Broker||Open AvaTrade Account|
|3.||Exness||FCA, CySEC||$1||MT4, MT5||Standard, Cent, Zero Spread||Free VPS||Open Exness Account|
|4.||XM||ASIC, CySEC, FCA||$5||MT4, MT5||Standard, Micro, Zero Spread||20% Deposit Bonus||Open XM Account|
|5.||ICMarkets||Seychelles FSA||$200||MT4, MT5, CTrader||Standard, Zero Spread||Best Paypal Broker||Open ICMarkets Account|
|6.||XBTFX||ASIC, CySEC, FCA||$10||MT4, MT5||Standard, Zero Spread||Best USA Broker||Open XBTFX Account|
|7.||Vantage||ASIC, CySEC, FCA||$50||MT4, MT5||Standard, Cent, Zero Spread||20% Deposit Bonus||Open Vantage Account|
|8.||FXTM||FSC Mauritius||$10||MT4, MT5||Standard, Micro, Zero Spread||Welcome Bonus $50||Open FXTM Account|
|9.||FBS||ASIC, CySEC, FCA||$5||MT4, MT5||Standard, Cent, Zero Spread||100% Deposit Bonus||Open FBS Account|
|10.||Binance||DASP||$10||Binance Platforms||N/A||Best Crypto Broker||Open Binance Account|
|11.||TradingView||Unregulated||Free||TradingView||N/A||Best Trading Platform||Open TradingView Account|
“If you don't find a way to make money while you sleep, you will work until you die.”
- Warren Buffett
MOST POPULAR FOREX ROBOT
Number One Robot for Forex Trading.
Based on Price Action and Trend Analysis with Artificial Intelligence.
Works Best with EURUSD & XAUUSD.
You can use this EA on Multiple Accounts with Life Time Premium Support.
MyFXbook, FxBlue & Live Trading Verified.
Monthly Expected Profit is 20% to 200% with very Less Drawdown.
check daily trading result
We will post our trading result daily on our channel. Please join our channel for daily updates.